admin client connects but not chat client

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Drac0_*

• Guests

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:26 PM

I have LiveZilla installed on my company Help Desk site. I'm able to connect to it just fine using the LiveZilla Server Admin client, but I'm unable to logon with the user client using the same authentication that I used to connect with the server admin client.

I keep getting the "Login failed. This server is not configured properly. No login possible due to insufficient file permissions." error.

I've gone over the install, checked and double checked the directory permissions as per the FAQ and also as per the server page too. (These differ!) I've even reinstalled and double checked the directory permissions again.

Why would I be able to login using the Admin client but not the chat client?

I have successfully installed LiveZilla on a personal site and it works flawlessly.

#2 Derek Punzova

Support Team Member

• Moderators
  • 6181 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:04 AM

The configuration of some (Linux) server systems can make it really hard for LiveZilla to work properly.

If you have problems with the permissions I really recommend to upload the server files using the LiveZilla Server Admin wizard and not upload by hand using a an other FTP-Client. In most cases the problem will go away then. Hope this helps.
- If you like to suggest a new feature, please click here.
Kind Regards,
Derek

#3 Guest_Drac0_*

• Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

Hello Derrick,

I've used both ways to upload the script and neither work 'out of the box'. Only once was I able to get chat working, but this was only with the administrative account. Once I created a user account using the admin client, neither the admin account or the user account were able to connect with the chat client. The admin account continued to work using the admin client only.

My server does not have safe mode turned on, so that's not an issue either. Why would one client be able to authenticate but the other not, especially with credentials that work on the admin client? What is the difference?

#4 Patrick Keil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3600 posts
  • LocationSingen, Germany

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:08 PM

This one sounds really strange to me.

So the error came up after creating a new user?

When logging on using the LiveZilla Server Admin you are not gathering any user information (external). When logging on using the Operator client you are accessing the the _data_***** folder and gather all information of visitors and chats. That means you access files which have been created by "other" users (like a visitor of your website). I expect your problem there but in the end it can have several reasons.

How do you access your webserver? IP? Domain? Both? This is really important.

If you can provide a FTP-account to your LiveZilla installation folder I will have a look a see what I can do.

#5 Guest_Drac0_*

• Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:38 PM

I connect to the server by domain name, but this is not a general cPanel type of web server. My helpdesk site is a subdomain of my main domain, http://helpdesk.mydomain.tld, it runs as an Apache Virtual Server. When I FTP to the server, I FTP to the main domain and then browse to the public_html file for the sub domain.

I had thought that this may be an issue as well, so I did use the "Extract to local system" and uploaded the files to my server. Once uploaded I chmod'd the files as per the FAQ and also chmod'd the files as per the install directory index page called out. The FAQ does not list all of the files needed for the latest version.

Let me try out a couple things first and if they don't work, I'll PM you my server info and let you take a look.

#6 Patrick Keil

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3600 posts
  • LocationSingen, Germany

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:37 AM

Drac0 said:

The FAQ does not list all of the files needed for the latest version.

You are right, I just updated the entry. Thank you for that valuable hint!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users