Database settings will not stay in Server Configuration

3 replies to this topic

#1 lilleyt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

I downloaded the latest LiveZilla yesterday and installed on a test Win Server 2003 box with IIS 6, PHP 5.3 from Microsoft's Web Platform Installer and MySQL from Bitnami's WAMP stack.

After some initial difficulty with the password authentication mechanism on MySQL (I had to issue the set password command recommended by the LiveZilla server administration tool), I was able to create the tables in the database. LiveZilla's web page appears functional as well, however the demo chat says that the service is not available. The server test completes fine though.

As far as I can see, the issue appears to be the database configuration within the server profile. It simply will not hold its settings. Whenever I visit the Database tab, it is empty of non-pre-populated values, and although I am able to successfully enter the values and test the connection, the service doesn't come up and they are blank when I return to the tab. I have even gone so far as to make sure I am hitting "Apply" before "OK".

When I try to connect to the server administrator, it reports that it cannot connect to the database.

Embedding the live chat button on a web page also reports the service offline.

I would also suggest that the installation screencast is less than complete since it does not actually take you through to seeing a functional chat session. Testing is an integral part of the installation process and to show less than that is to be incomplete.

Any experience with this?

Ted

#2 lilleyt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

I think I have this fixed now. After messing around with the filesystem permissions several different ways, I found that the IUSR_ guest account needs modify access over the LiveZilla directory and children. This may have been implied by the faq which directs you to add "our" account to the filesystem permissions, but the faq is less than specific as to which account that is. You also have to know to use the Advanced button in the directory property dialog in order to check the box that says to replace the permissions on child folders and objects. Perhaps those instructions could be updated, or, even better, a Windows Web Platform Installer could be made which would obviate a lot of the installation steps such as this one.

A suggestion for the future.

Thanks for what looks to be a great free chat product. I'm looking forward to getting to know it better.

#3 Derek Punzova

Support Team Member

• Moderators
  • 6091 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:19 AM

The thing is, that we don't know the name of your webuser, you can change it or install further users to handle different websites.

However, IUSR is the default so I guess it would make sense to add that to the FAQ. Thanks for suggesting.
- If you like to suggest a new feature, please click here.
Kind Regards,
Derek

#4 Betsie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:41 AM

Interesting suggestion.... I could solve my challenge. that's valuable enough for me....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users