Jump to content


Accented letters are being removed in tickets


12 replies to this topic

#1 fabiobr

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

Hi Patrick!

I'm using LiveZilla 7.0.2.7 and realized that accented letters are being removed from tickets subject and recipient name. Please, can you confirm this issue?


Thanks!


Fabio

#2 Patrick Keil

    Administrator

  • Administrators
  • 3193 posts
  • LocationSingen, Germany

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

Can you provide step by step instructions on how to replicate this?

Thanks.

#3 fabiobr

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:11 PM

Hello,

Most of the time I create the ticket myself for the customer, to send them instructions. To create the ticket manually I insert their name, e-mail and the subject, and sometimes add some text in the body. For example:

Name: José Abraão
Email: joseabraao@hotmail.com
Subject: Instruções de Ativação

After send the message to the customer, when they reply the ticket I receive like this:

Name: Jos Abrao
Email: joseabraao@hotmail.com
Subject: Instrues de Ativao


Btw, this is happening with every ticket...


Thanks!

Fabio

#4 Patrick Keil

    Administrator

  • Administrators
  • 3193 posts
  • LocationSingen, Germany

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

I still don't understand where exactly the special chars are being removed.

Is this an email issue?

#5 fabiobr

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

I do not think it is a e-mail issue, because it happens with every ticket... Please, see this imagens:

1. I create the ticket manually for sending information to client:
http://imgur.com/XYEaLHP

2. When client reply the e-mail I receive like this:
http://imgur.com/X3shgvW


Thank you!

Fabio

#6 fabiobr

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 04:31 PM

Please, can anyone confirm this issue?

#7 Patrick Keil

    Administrator

  • Administrators
  • 3193 posts
  • LocationSingen, Germany

Posted 11 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

Hi Fabio,

I can't reproduce this. Generally speaking, special chars are working fine in tickets.

Did you change the encoding of your mysql databases? All tables and text fields must be set to utf8.

#8 fabiobr

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

Hi Patrick,

We did not change the databases enconding.

Please, have a look in a Youtube video we sent by e-mail (using the contact form from your site).

Thanks!

Fabio

#9 Danny

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationRochdale, UK

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:18 PM

Hi

I have hope no one minds but i have had a test of this myself using utf8 on version 7.0.4.0 and the special characters don't show up for me either in the subject header, they do however show up in the main body of the message.

#10 fabiobr

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:46 PM

Hi Danny,

Thank you for sharing this information with us!

Please, could you test also with sender name? For me, both fields "sender name" and "subject" are loosing special characters.


Regards,

Fabi

#11 Danny

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationRochdale, UK

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:36 PM

The name and body seem to display fine for me... just the subject field that has the issue. I have not yes tried the eMail field but I'm happy to try this at my soonest opportunity. I am with 123reg at the moment and it looks like they do not allow these characters in email address's but if you want me to look further into it ill give it a go. :-)

#12 fabiobr

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:57 PM

Hello Danny,

I received a reply from Livezilla support team and they will access my server to check the issue. If they find the problem I let you know. Thank you!


Best regards,

Fabio

#13 fabiobr

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

The special (accented) characters issue is over after we updated PHP to version 5.6 and also updated Livezilla server to version 7.0.4.0

Thanks!





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users